Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Taste of Argentina

Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Today was great!!  I didn't have much to do and neither did Mark, so of course we got together and had a lot of fun:]

We had to run a few errands individually, so we just went with each other to make it easier.  While making a few stops, we found an Argentine grocery story/market place one of Mark's friends was telling him about.  We stepped in and I totally felt lame because I didn't know what anything said nor what it was.  Good thing I wasn't alone and Mark has years of experience with Argentine culture and speaks spanish, so that was a huge plus!  Mark had the great idea to cook some Argentine food at his house for lunch, which I was totally game for.  It sounded awesome.

He decided on Empanadas! I had never had them before, so might as well try 'em.


We grabbed a few things from the store that we didn't have already: 
1.) Small, frozen, disc-shaped dough slices.
2.) Yerba Mate (he said I had to try it)
3.) Alfajores: Bon o bon (cookie-type things)
4.) Chimichurri (some sauce)

With a hint of orange flavoring... but I don't think that helped the taste at all.
This bag is just filled with herbs.  Looked like a Bag o' Grass or something.

Really vinegary sauce.

Yum!

Firstly, I would like to add that the Mate is truly one of the weirdest drinks I have ever attempted to consume. To drink it, you have to have a type of straw that has filter at the bottom of it. 
This is just a picture of one I found online. But notice the filter?


Boil some water, put it in a cup with some of the herbs, and this is what you get!

See why you need the filter? Without it, you'll drink a cup of water and herbs/grass. 

Lookin' good with his Mate and sweet straw:]

Woo hoo!


My first ever empanada I created!
It was surprisingly easy.  But I'm sure there are bigger and better ways to make them. 

Step 1: Grab a dough slice and put some meat on it (we used chicken and added some onions).
Step 2: Stick your finger in a cup of water and slide your finger around the circumference of the dough so it will stick together when you fold it. 
Step 3: Fold it! easy enough, right?
Step 4: Use a fork and press down the edges of the dough together (as you can see in the picture) on BOTH sides of the empanada.
Step 5: Just put them on a pan and cook 'em! 

Mark was telling me that empanadas can be baked, or fried. And use any kind of meat.  Sometimes people put olives or raisins in them with the meat too!  I'm down with olives, but raisins?? Sounds awful. 

Finished product


Chimichurri with the empanada

They were excellent!  I would love to make them again but try a different kind of meat and put olives and stuff in them.  Just to try it out.  I was really impressed with Mark's skills! :D

Final Verdict on Food: 
Empanadas = So tasty!!
Chimichurri = Yummy with empanadas, but  really vinegary.
Mate = Not a favorite of mine.  Not disgusting, but just so weird and very very bitter!  I'm glad I got to try it though.
Alfajores = So good!  I quite loved them, actually. 

I would love to try more Argentine food.  Thanks Mark for your help!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Keys to My Sanity © 2014